The center of the Hungarian National Archives Somogy Archives is situated in Kaposvár in the former ‘little” City Hall, which was built from 1828 to 1832 and later extended several times. The Branch Archives of the Somogy Archives is situated in the “Vigyázó-kastély’ [Vigyázó Castle] in Nagyberki. The center of the Archives in Kaposvár preserves the majority of those administrative, legislative and economic documents as well as family archives of the County and the documents of those settlements which were created before 1950. The building of the Nagyberki Branch Archives preserves documents, made between 1950 and 1990, about the districts, settlements, and land registers, company records and farmer’s cooperatives. Besides, the Archives preserves large numbers of documents in a rented repository on the edge of the city. There were 3019 fonds, that is 16 059 linear meters records, in the Archives in February 2014. During the Ottoman Conquest of Hungary, almost all documents, concerning the County, were destroyed. There are approximately 100 medieval records in the Archives. Of these, two gives information about Somogy County. From the 1720s the documents of County and of the General Assembly became part of the Archives, and from the middle of the 19th century, the documents of Lord Lieutenant and Deputy Lieutenant also became part of the collection. Kaposvár became a municipal town in 1944, but unfortunately the documents of the Kaposvár Archives were damaged several times. The Archives also preserves the fonds of the first level administrative and legislative offices. Some other important documents and collections of the Archives include the records of the Somogy Manor Archive (for example the Piarists Custodianus Mernyei Manor), the documents of the elementary and secondary schools, the poster and photo collection and the Kaposvár City Council’s documents. Besides the records of the regional administrative offices (such as the Somogy County Land Administration), and the County and city documents of political parties (for example the Hungarian Workers’ Party, MDP and the Hungarian Socialist Worker’s Party, MSZMP) The economic development of Somogy County is well-represented by the documents of one of the most significant companies, the MIR Kaposvár Sugar Factory. The Archives has several publications and series. The Somogy megye múltjából, levéltári évkönyv [The History of Somogy County, Archival Yearbooks] have been published since 1970, and it has its 42th volume in 2014. The series of Somogy Almanach [Somogy Almanac] have been published since 1957. The latest, 54th volume was published in 1997. The Iskola és levéltár [School and Archivs] series have been serving the Somogy local history studies since 1975. 40 volumes of the series were published until 1996. After the Millennium two new series have been published, titled the Somogy megye múltjából [History of Somogy County], Segédletek és Fontes Comitatus Simighiensis [Manuals and the Fontes Comitatus Simighiensis]. Apart from these series there have been other study collections. The Archives organizes a permanent exhibition and a Corridor Exhibition which changes every year. This institution was one of the first archives in Hungary in the 1970s which started organizing Archival Days, and this tradition is still alive. Furthermore, the Archives takes part in organizing the Archives’ Night and the Researchers’ Night events.
Address: 7400 Kaposvár, Bartók Béla utca 8–10.
Postal adress: 7404 Kaposvár, Pf. 16.
Telephone: +36 82 528 200
Telefax: +36 82 314347